Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Aussie Slang: _______ As...


There is a certain Aussie slang phenomenon that bothers me a little bit. Not a lot, but just enough to make secretly mock people in my head. Well, it has boiled over and now the mockery must be unleashed.

If Aussies, especially young ones, want to give a little bit of extra emphasis on an adjective, they will say _____ As... And stop. It is as if they mean to say a clever simile, but just can't think of a way to finish it. At least, that is how I think it started. Aussies like to communicate very quickly, with their fast vowels, speed, chopping off ending of words, but this is too much! This laziness in simile has devolved so far that people say this without even an implied finish to the sentence. It just hangs there, begging to be completed.

That's great as.

AHHHH!!!!

Sometimes, the as is given extra emphasis, taking the weight off the adjective itself. It then sounds like as is the primary descriptive word of the sentence. People say these things and I just want to add something to it. Or just follow such a statement with an "as?" Then give them a look like what was said was incomprehensible and incomplete. Not to mention that people here call me "Az", so I'm not sure if they are saying something to me explicitly or taking this seeming brevity too far. So, just to get this all out of my system, so I don't explode.

That's sweet As! ...cramming 17 sugar packets into your mouth and trying to whistle!

Sick as...drinking cod liver oil and riding the tilt-o-whirl!

Cool as...Kanye West!

These aren't good similes, but at least I finished a thought.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This coming from the only native Minnesotan in the family, who grew up desire to come with . . .

aj burke said...

Maybe it's just a corruption of "sweet-ass", "cool-ass", etc.? That's probably what I'd think they were saying to me.