Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sunset


I'm watching the sunset from a place I've arbitrarily chosen as the best in the area. I walked across a stretch to find the best place, but none were great. SO I'm sitting at the base of a lighthouse on Rottnest Island, watching the sun set over a wind farm.

Sunsets are supposed to be the bringer of calm and serenity: on my small search, I came upon a group of people on the beach, mid half-lotus; a man floating in the cool water, and a surfer with an acoustic guitar, strumming for the sea. Everyone is finding peace at this time but me, I'm sore, sunburned, have sand on my sunburn, furthering the irritation, but most importantly, my uncle Lindley has just passed away.

I reckon I should be grateful that I am watching the sun go down on this Indian Ocean paradise, but a big part of me wishes I was in Missouri, providing support for the family. Lindley has been a pillar of the family, entertaining us with his great stories, or even better, creating great stories for others to tell of him. I'm sure the Tiger's Basketball team felt a shudder today.

From what I heard, he went on his own terms, and that definitely helps me find peace knowing he went peacefully. Lindley has lived a long happy life, not that it makes things unsad, but it does help. This is a notebook blog I am writing, and by the time this is read, it may not be too relevant, but I extend my deepest sympathy to everyone and am extending a long-armed hug to all.

The sun has set and I still hear the distant guitar, maybe this can be my elegy for Lindley, knowing he is at peace like the sea.

3 comments:

aj burke said...

I am glad you posted. I was not sure when you would get the news as you trekked all over Australia. It was so sudden, but almost all of us made it there in time to see him and say "I love you" before he died. It was too fast, but no one wanted him to linger any longer in the state he was in. We will always remember him as he was when he was full of energy and ideas and strength, and - of course - in denim overalls.

JGW said...

This was heartfelt and beautifully spoken. Thank you.

Guthrie said...

I'm sorry to read about your uncle's passing. Hope the steps are edifying...