Monday, February 23, 2009

Americans

For much of my time traveling (timetraveling hehe), I've been wondering the answer to one question that has plagued me, where are all the Americans? I've met a good number of Canadians, Scots, Irish, Germans, Brits, and Dutch, but Americans seem as rare as the colossal squid. When starting the classic conversation with other travelers, "How long have you been in Australia? Where are you from?" After saying I'm from the states, most remark that I'm the first they've met here.

What is it about Americans and Australia? Not many people I've met back home have visited here; I can only think of three off the top of my head. Is it the "danger" of Australia, with its venomous everything, gaping hole in the ozone layers, and constant threat of being bashed by the locals? Whatever it is, the rest of Europe and Canada are getting completely different messages about this country than us. Maybe Australia is trying to scare us away, because they know we'll love it too much. Australia is a lot like Billy Carter, that little brother who drinks too much beer, has too much fun, but when you give him a chance, you can't help loving the guy.

Well, as much for having the interesting anecdote of "You know, after a whole year in Australia, I've met not one American when traveling." would have been great, I finally did meet some of the elusive yanks yesterday. At the lighthouse of Byron Bay, I heard an accent that sounded vaguely familiar. Now, you have to realize, barring conversations with friends and family back home, I've not heard Americans speak in five months. Everyone talks with an accent to me, so I have trouble getting my head straight. Aussie is the only accent that sounds normal to me. For one though, I heard speech that was warm and comforting. "Are you American or Canadian?" I asked. How sad is it that I can't even tell the difference anymore; they both just sound North American.

"American." They replied.

I stared in awe! "You are the first Americans I've met in five months being in this country!"

"Where are you from?" they asked.

"Minnesota."

"Us too!"

Wow, I can't even smell my own kind. After a second of chatting, it all came back, the funny vowels, weird intonations...ah Minnesotan.

Later that day, I met a couple girls from Kansas. Then again, I heard some more Americans talking the kitchen of my hostel. They were quite annoying. I can see why people don't like us very much. So apparently, there are American here, they are just surfing at Byron Bay.

3 comments:

JGW said...

This is so ultimately frustrating I don't know why I even freeking mess with making comments. For the third freeking time, the reason Americans (*People from the States) aren't seen in Australia is our insane and inhumane vacation situations. Most Western nations have a mandatory four-week vacation. We get a week. If you're spending four days in the air to and from Australia, why spend three days vacationing there?

Paul said...

I guess you missed one chance when you didn't match up with cousin Dan in Perth.....

Ryan Rodgers said...

I bet the economy has something to do with these days. Usually long trippers are either, young, rich or old. Today the young are more worried about jobs, the rich less so, and the old restrained by shrinking 401k's.