Saturday, March 7, 2009

Expat

It is hard not to fall in love with this country. The more time I spend here, the more I would love to come back and move here eventually. Australia however, is not too keen on letting people move here, so it isn't really an option anyway. Either way, here is a list of pro's and con's of going expat from the US to Australia.

Pro's

1) The Weather

I can't even describe how perfect the weather is in Australia. In five months, the temperature has barely dipped below 60F. Yeah, it gets really really hot, but the heat is easier to handle. I'm constantly outside, being sweaty, sleeping in no A/C. Australia is just plain hot, but everyone is sweaty and hot. Just drink lots of water and slather on the sunscreen. I doubt I'll ever want to live in a cold place again. There were so many places in just the US that I ruled out, only because of the heat. Honestly, nothing here has been worse than Minnesota summers. Those in Missouri are living in more uncomfortable climate than the 110F days here. Arizona is starting sound really attractive.

2) The People

I love Aussies. They are so laid back, yet hard-working at the same time. Aussies just enjoy life no matter what. Five week vacation always helps. No money? Who cares as long as you can afford food and beer. The sarcastic Aussie humor is hilarious and truly unique. I can't describe it. Check out a show called Rove on youtube; Letterman and Leno have nothing on this guy. "No worries" is Australia's motto. When I go home, I'd like to take some this attitude with me. "G'day" another great motto so to speak. At the bar alone? It takes all of five minutes before you are greeted with a handshake and a smile. I've lost count of the number of people who've invited me to stay with them here. Befriend and Aussie immediately! You'll learn a lot about life.

3) The Lack of Excessive Consumerism

This is the big one for me. Housing developments are rare outside of the main big cities. If a venture capitalist shows up to a farm with a briefcase full of cash, you know what the Aussies do, they shut the door. They'd rather keep their countryside beautiful and their life simple. That is refreshing. People here just aren't that obsessed with money. There are a decent amount of chains, but they haven't totally saturated the economy. I bet Oz is a lot like the US in the early 80's. Not sure though, my memories from that era are quite unreliable and non-existent. (just wanted to throw in that the above is not universal, there are lots of money-obsessed Aussies, but I see it much less here.)

Con's

1)The People

"No worries" gets a little boring after a while. Aussies, please don't take offense to this, but many people I've met here aren't really deep. I don't mean this to be unintelligent; I don't mean simple either. Many Aussies just don't care about really analyzing things. They feel there are more important things to do. I'm an American; our national trait is neurotic. I have to think everything to death. A lot of Aussie get bored with me. My humor doesn't click with many and often my conversations are quite short. Now, I've not however spent too much time with University educated Aussies, so much of this may be based on the small town and blue collar crowd I've mainly met in pubs and whatnot. In general though, I just connect with my fellow Americans better.

2) The Ambiance

BUZZ BUZZ!! CAHHH CAHHH! This is what much of Australia sound like. The flies are horrible. When out in the bush, you have to cover your food in between bites just to prevent the food from being too covered with flies. Flies are everywhere. In your nose, in your eyes, in your ears. You have to have one free hand at all times for waving. Then there are the crows. Everywhere you go, CAHHHH, CAHHH! I just want to hunt them down and strangle them. They are more annoying than our crows, that's for sure. BUZZZ! CAHHHH! It gets old.

3)The Cost

Everything here is expensive, except for wines and houses. 24 beers are $45. A small turkey is $60. A cheap meal out is $15-30. Normal pair of jeans is $100+. It really adds up. My friends and family would be far away, but with five weeks paid vacation, I could visit every year. Only problem $3000 round trip for just the flight. Most jobs pay more here, but it does not make up for the cost.

4) Friends and Family

Yeah, with Facebook, phone, and email, it isn't that hard to be far away, but over a couple of years, it would get very hard. The novelty of a new country will fade away and in the end, I"m just living the same type of life, just much much further from home.

No comments: