Monday, June 15, 2009

My Rocky Horror

Katoomba is a tourist mountain town that is mostly focused on hiking around the splendid scenery of the Blue Mountains. At night however, it is a quiet, sleepy, mountain town. To shake things up a bit, I decided to take part in two local events around town, a free Texas Hold 'Em Tournament and a screening of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
The last time I saw Rocky Horror was four years ago at a University of Minnesota theater. I found myself one of the few who did not dress up. I didn't know what to yell at the actors, I was completely lost. Therefore, I did some research and vowed to never watch Rocky Horror in public again without fishnet stockings.

I was in luck. Katoomba proved to be quite ripe with discount women's clothing. I found a lace pink bra and panties for $5, fishnets for another five, and a cheap skirt. Shoes weren't on my budget, so I just wore hiking boots. Leather was also not in my budget as well. Either way, I was ready enough for the show.

My night started at the poker tournament. The movie was at 10:30 and I needed time to change and find someone to lend me some makeup, so I set an alarm for 9:15. It was a free tournament, so I didn't care whether I won or not. I started well, won a few hands early and bet them well. I quickly became the table leader. Time flew by quick and in no time, my 9:15 alarm was buzzing. I knew I had to wrap things up. I started playing every hand and calling every bet, but no matter what I had, nothing proved too bad to lose. A seven and nine off-suited was beating pocket queens. Straights and flushes came up constantly. Soon, I had three times the stack of anyone in the room! Since I had already paid $20 for drag, I didn't want to miss the show because of a free tournament. I was doing so well though, I definitely considered ditching the movie to move in for the win. In the end it didn't matter. It took all of three consecutive losing hands to take me out.
I found a girl in the hostel with makeup and prepared to leave with only minutes to spare. Earlier in the day, I posted a sign on the bulletin board, trying to convince others to join me; these things are always more fun in a group. Alas, I found myself standing in drag, alone in the lobby. The theater was only a kilometer away, so it would not be long before I was surrounded by other people in ridiculous costumes.
I was a bit late for the start of the film; everyone had already filed into the cinema. I opened the door and saw the outside light illuminate the crowd, everyone dressed in sweaters or winter coats and pants. Not a single pair of fishnet-dressed legs sat crossed on the seats in front of them. A few in the crowd sang along to "Dammit Janet!", but nobody yelled "asshole"or "slut"when the couple introduced themselves. After five minutes of being the solo voice in the crowd participation rituals, I gave up.
Leaving the theater, the crowd had their chance to see me in my festive glory. Most were quite pleased that I was in the spirit. Some explained that they wanted to dress up, but thought it was too cold. It still didn't help the fact that was the sole person in drag. One remarked I looked quite good in stocking and should join the drag show going on just two blocks away. I considered the anecdote factor or participating in a drag show for one time in my life, but as I left the safety of the cinema, various jeers and queer looks killed my bravery of doing such a thing. I was awkward enough and the anecdote I had was good enough as well.

No comments: