Saturday, December 20, 2008

Fish out of Water

I was invited to party last night by a cool guy around town who's a reporter for the local newspaper. We were there for a couple hours, sitting around drinking, talking. Suddenly, the house was full of people. I was going around saying hello to people I knew, gearing myself up to meet the ones I didn't. First though, I had to take a leak. I went into the bathroom, did my thing, and suddenly, almost everyone had left.

In Broken Hill, the taxis are mostly minivans that can hold lots of people. To save money, everyone shares cabs, so it is not uncommon for large groups of people to come and go at a moments notice. I did find it odd that nobody made any mention that they were leaving or where they were going, including the people I came to the party with.

So the party dynamic had changed quite a bit. I looked around the room, beer in hand. Everyone else was sipping martinis and dancing. That's when I realized, I was the only straight guy there! Before I continue with this blog, let me just take a moment for debriefing. No, I'm not a label obsessed person. No, I hold no judgement towards the homosexual community. It is just weird in any situation to be the odd man out. Like those few parties where I was the only white guy...not bad, just a tiny bit weird.

Maybe it was that arms weren't fluid enough. I was dancing, having fun, enjoying myself, but my dancing didn't including clapping and fancy moves. "Az, whatever you are doing with your arms, you need to stop; you're going to hurt somebody." So, I just bobbed my head and swayed to the music a bit. I'm used to being at least an adequate dancer, but in comparison to the room of gay men, I felt like, well, a straight white guy dancing.

Maybe it was that I just don't like ABBA enough. They put on some song by those Swedes I've never heard. The room bustled with excitement and stomping. "Aza, do even know who this is?" "Um, ABBA?" I replied. "Good boy!" I enjoy the catchy smooth pop of ABBA now and then, I just don't get excited by it.

Maybe I just wasn't feminine enough. Everyone knows I'm not the most masculine of people, but last night made me feel incredibly macho. Yeah, I picked up on the Goody Proctor and Bette Midler references. Yeah I was dancing to ABBA, but I just lacked a certain zing...that undefinable thing that straight guys just don't have.

It was a really fun night and really enjoyed myself. It was just a little different. Oddly enough, I didn't find it that weird being the only yank at the party either. Maybe I'm just more used to that.

Favorite line of the night, "I love boobies! All gay guys love boobies. Their so soft and warm, so fun to grab. They just don't give me a stiffy."-Ryan

1 comment:

sdelatovic said...

A-ha! I knew there was something I forgot to do before rolling out of that jam.

Sorry 'bout that. Had a good time though. Few flies in the ointment, but that's a party.

And dude, it was a pleasant change to not be the only straight guy at a shindig - I WILL NEVER DANCE.