Sunday, January 4, 2009

Tea


Aussies love their tea. Aussies love tea in the morning. Aussies love tea in the afternoon. Aussies love tea at night. Aussies drink tea much in the same way Americans drink coffee. Every so often, one comes across a tea drinker in the states, but most people, if they even drink tea, only have a cup of herbal tea at night or the occasional iced tea. Of the tea drinkers I know in the states, all drink their tea black: no milk, no sugar. Here, people do all the combinations: sugar no milk, milk and sugar, just milk, a shot of beer, or a hint of dingo-powder, but oddly, few take their black. I was an occassional tea drinker at home, but this new locale has definitely added a cup or four to my average day.

Now here is where it get EXTREMELY confusing for us yanks. Aussies call dinner (supper to some regions) tea. So, often, I can find myself confused on whether or not I am to expect food or beverage, especially because tea gets drunk at night. Thankfully, there is other slang to help differentiate between the two. Very rarely is tea offered as just "tea". Instead, you are offered a cupper (cuppa). I still don't have the heart to call supper "tea". It just doesn't seem right. Tea isn't drunk with your tea. Tea isn't involved in tea in any sort of way, so I really don't even know where calling it tea even came from.

I just took a break to look this up on my old friend dictionary.com. Of course to you readers, there was no break, so the above sentence is kinda pointless. I think the delete key is broken. Well, this comes from the ol' Brits who actually do have tea with their evening meal. I'm sure some Aussies have tea with their tea, but this household does not.

Here are some quick translations for the confused:

"What would you like for tea?" - This is not asking if you want Earl Grey or Oolong, this is asking what you'd like to eat for your evening meal.

"Tea is ready." - Dinner is served.

"Your tea is ready"- Tea is served. Although sometimes, this means that your individual meal is ready. If there is a mug waiting for you, it is your tea. If there is a plate waiting for you, it is your tea.

"How do you like your tea?" - Milk? Sugar? Not medium rare or well done.

"Want a cupper?" - Want some tea.

"Would you like your tea?" - Either your food is ready, or your cupper is getting cold.

All I can say to the yanks is have fun with this one.

4 comments:

Paul said...

If you'll open up and let your Dunham genes surface, tea will assume a new priority in your life.

Anonymous said...

Aaron!!!
OMG that is Redonkulous!!!!
I can't believe they liked it!!!!!!!!!!!
That's pretty great though.
Glad you got out to do some karaoke tho:)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the photo! It made me laugh out loud! :)

Andrea

Leah said...

Our dentists have been scraping tea stains off our teeth for decades. How is is that you never noticed the tea thing? My favorite "common" tea is PG Tips.
Mary